Should Colleges open back up in the Fall?

The college I attend with many other colleges seem to have the similar game plan for Fall semester that we will still resume classes on the day classes start and attend them in person but after Thanksgiving Break we'll switch back to online instruction. I would love to go back dont get me wrong, but me and my friends are all on the same page we would rather just have the entirety Fall semester online. Whats to stop college kids from partying? Especially off-campus students? I just feel like we're just going to rise in covid cases. I do feel bad for juniors and seniors because of internships/senior projects, those are incredibly important. Id much rather have Fall semester online, I just feel like the opening of Colleges is not gonna go well at all. What are your thoughts?

My university polled the students, and most expressed a desire to be back on campus in the Fall. Also, the university would lose a huge amount of money by being all online, AND Trump says that international students who are all online will be deported. The university is giving considerable latitude to the faculty- to meet with small groups of students once every two weeks, for example, with the rest online. I'm not sure that's going to work- faculty members are more concerned about getting sick than the students are- but it could be a reasonable compromise. My university plans to start early and be finished by November, with no Fall Break- the idea is to prevent students from going off and bringing the virus back. 

Something to consider- if people had done what they were supposed to do in the Spring- staying home and wearing masks- we could have brought this virus under control But there's significant evidence that it is now the 18-34 age group that is ignoring recommendations, partying in bars, and spreading the virus. Anyone who is willing to party with others ought to be willing to sit in a classroom. 

No they should stay online. 

They shouldnt open given the high caseload but the governers will decide

• John

Based on the current health situation, I think fully online would be best for the fall semester.  I feel the pandemic needs to be treated as a medical crisis, not as a political opinion issue. Many seem to either have forgotten (or never knew) the example of Galileo's theory.   

That's entirely up to each college and the individual colleges of each University. The University of Oklahoma Norman campus is reopening and has already started to do so. The football team is supposed to back already. The dorm move in dates have been shortened. The dorms have Bern altered to have more single student rooms and hydrogen peroxide air sanitizer have been installed in most but not all dorms. Norman is the third largest city and the third hotspot in Oklahoma after Tulsa and greater Oklahoma City, which is huge and includes 5 to 10 counties. The Norman mayor and city council put a mandatory mask order into place. but that is being protested. There's no a movement to recall her and several other city council members. 

I am no longer enrolled at OU. I don't know what is happening on the Tulsa campus, which. ironically, is the health sciences campus separate from the medical school complex which is in Oklahoma City. Oklahoma's governor. who is a Democrat, refuses to put a mandatory mask order into effect. 

• A.J.

When the need for widespread wearing of masks and social distancing and testing and contact tracing were all critical from January through March, it didn't happen.

January 20th 2020 was the date of first confirmed case of Covid-19 in the USA (pop. 331 million) and South Korea (pop. 51 million). That's 6.5:1, and July 10, 2020 is:

USA 3,275,969 cases, 136,442 deaths, 1,689,937 active cases

S.Korea 13,338 cases (That ratio is 245:1) 288 deaths (Ratio 474:1) 985 active cases (1715:1) 

Undergraduate college has an important purpose to teach people how to learn on their own. High School is about in-class learning plus homework. College classes can be discussions of material already learned. There are students entering college unprepared, used to the spoon-feed method. 

The biggest issue of healthy young people is spreading the illness to the vulnerable.

Young people do get sick also, but rarely the extent of illness of old or immune system issues. As a student not yet back in classes, learn as much as possible about what you do to prevent others from catching it from you. All we can do is try to control the spread now and in Spain I believe, they refocused their efforts to protect the most vulnerable. Gatherings do not go well. Our Governor of Nevada is re-closing bars that are not restaurants, and no seating at a bar itself even if a restaurant. We know church gatherings spread it badly. We know social gatherings spread it. It is too late now to fully contain it as many countries did. Control yourself. Yes, the virus runs its own course and we can only attempt containment and the USA is a disaster. It can easily spread in classes. 

• Scott

Colleges and universities pretty much have to follow their state governors guidance on this issue.