Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 month ago

Why are European wine glasses so small?

My wine glass in Berlin was the same size as the crunchy pickle I had with it.

• 2 days ago

It doesn't always follow, in France I bought four 70cl wine glasses so each would hold a bottle of wine

Because Europeans haven't fallen for the ludicrous fashion for massive glasses that seems to have caught on in the USA.

• The size of the glass will depend on what kind of wine you're drinking.  Champagne or sparkling wines will typically be served in smaller glasses, while your full-bodied reds will have bigger glasses to allow you to swirl it to help it open up.  The pour is the same; 4-5 ounces.

I don't know maybe that was all they could afford

Depends on what you were drinking...

Red wine glasses are smaller than white wine glasses, and dessert wine glasses are smaller than white wine glasses, and aperitifs are served in even smaller glasses.

• kswck2

It is possible that the restaurant gave yo the wrong size glass. And then it is just as possible that there is no reason for wine glasses in Europe are smaller than those in the US. Also keep in mind that white wine glasses are supposed to be smaller than red wine glasses-at least in the US.

beach see the scared my 

• A.J.

I will speculate since there is no specific definitive reason.

Wine glasses grew larger over time, and European civilization is older.

Larger glasses yield larger servings and a large serving of wine is both unhealthy and if a good wine, expensive. United States features excess of everything.

Germany specializes more in white wines and often white sweeter ones. White wine is served in smaller glasses for slight chilling retention.

It was possibly a different type of wine glass.