"Swaying softly, the dewy grass parted opposite ways leaving a path to walk through for the enchanting woman."?

I am currently making stories just for fun. I am using the past tense of verb in making my current story. In the sentence, "Swaying softly, the dewy grass parted opposite ways leaving a path to walk through for the enchanting woman.", is the word swaying considered in present tense hence it is incorrect? Or is it right? If wrong, do you say "Swayed softly, …" or something else?

Favorite Answer

No, "swaying" is correct here. The main verb ("parted") in in the past tense, but "swaying" is a participle, which has no tense in itself.

BTW, if the grass "parted", there is no need to add "opposite ways". If "the grass parted" we all understand what it did.

There is also no need to add "to walk through". Just "leaving a path for the woman" tells us all we need. Unless she's going to race through the grass in a chariot, in which case you should certainly mention the fact, we'll take it for granted that a character is going to walk through the grass.

And PS: don't tell us the woman is "enchanting". SHOW us.

What, as opposed to "the grass parted in parallel ways"? The grass PARTED.