Help comprehending Lovecraft?

Currently reading “The Shadow Over Innsmouth.” I’m stuck on a line on the second page:

“But at last I am going to defy the ban on speech about this thing. Results, I am certain, are so thorough that no public harm save a shock of repulsion could ever accrue from a hinting of what was found by those horrified raiders at Innsmouth.” I just can’t seem to comprehend what Lovecraft is trying to say here. An explanation would be appreciated.

I believe the speaker is going to recite the words to bring the Old Ones. The words were banned since there is some record of what happened back in time. The speaker does not believe anything will happen since he says "no public harm save a shock of repulsion.."

Basically:

"I'll talk about this, although it's banned. The public won't be hurt, except in their shock and disgust."