Is this a mean, cruel way to describe a person?

One time I had a friend who asked me my opinions on a certain classmate from school, I told him I thought she was a pretty nice girl but didn't get to know her very well, he told me that he finds our classmate to be a fairly nice girl but wasn't too friendly towards those outside of her clique.

I did tell him that our classmate is pretty cautious over who she wants to be close friends with and that is her right, I also told my friend that he sounds pretty resentful that he isn't part of her clique.

Favorite Answer

He asked for your opinion before giving his.  There's nothing wrong with that.  his statement doesn't sound "resentful" to me.

No, it isn't. In the future, I would say less, such as, "I don't know her well, but whenever we had contact, she was polite and nice." And leave it at that.

it might be that way

No, it sounds like he was just stating a fact - she’s unfriendly towards people outside the clique.  Not being friends with someone doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be nice to them.