Hello car mechanics, do I have to wait to notice the signs of brakepads wearing before replacing?

such as squealing noise

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

No not at all.  When you or your favorite mechanic rotates your tires it's easy to look at the outer brake pad for wear. It's better to replace the pads before the pad backing plates start to scrape the rotors.

• M.
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Maintenance should be proactive. 

You SHOULD inspect your brake friction material regularly to monitor the wear.  After a while, you will have an idea how often to change your brake pads/shoes. 

I personally wouldn't be waiting for the disc pad squeakers to make noise. 

Drum brakes (maybe you have drum brakes on the rear?) don't make pre-damage squeaking warning noises.  They make post-damage grinding noises. 

-General automotive mechanic since 1972

• 4 weeks ago

I do believe you can do a brake job anytime you care to. If you have brake noise make sure to replace the rotors too.

• Barry
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Squealing is nothing to do with wear. It's high frequency vibration of the pads. This can be suppressed by the application of a smear of brake grease on the back of the pads. You should check for pad wear every 10,000 miles. When they approach 3 mm in thickness they should be replaced. Other than that you can replace them whenever you wish.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Dear Dumbass Mick's. You could have one day old brakes replaced if you wanted them to be replaced. It's totally up to you. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Check the pads for wear.  If the wear is close to the wear limits, replace them.

• Erik
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No, you don't have to.  But if they're not squealing they're probably fine.  You can always check the thickness of the pads by removing the wheel and looking at them.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

No, you change them before they fail. You need brakes to stop. It's kind of important.

• 4 weeks ago

No. You could replace them every month, if you wanted to and didn't mind paying the bill.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.