Is smoking harmful for vocals? For singers?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 week ago

weed is fine though

• 1 week ago

Yes and no, but I'll never recommend anyone start smoking.  I've been doing it for almost 40 years, and I'm an absolute slave to those things.  But since that's not what you asked...

A lot of singers smoke, and it creates a rougher voice.  That's not good if you're singing opera or country, but it's exactly what you want if you're singing any type of blues or rock & roll.  

That said, it also severely limits your lung power and ability to hold high notes, among other bad things.  A non-smoker can sing all night and still talk normally the next day, a smoker can barely make a sound the next day.

• 2 weeks ago

Freddie Mercury was smoking as hell. Weeknd also was doing drugs. Snoop Dogg... yeah that's a bad example... Rihanna, Biber (that's also a bad example), Milley Cyrus, Johnny Cash, me... Lots of good singers with strong voices. I think it's because they don't smoke as much as practice. They ve been working so much that cigarettes won't affect them anymore. Because smoking changes your voice getting it a little harsher. But when you have a very strong voice and you sing with the great power and support it's not noticeable. Of course, not everybody can do that. Yet it depends on how much you smoke (though Mercury was smoking a lot)

• 2 weeks ago

Smoking is harmful for everyone who smokes, not just singers.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 weeks ago

I think you KNOW that it's harmful. Why even ask this question?

• Rick
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

oh yeah ..................................................

• 4 weeks ago

Theres a reason people have a stoma below their throat in order to breath..so yes smoking is harmful and also an expensive way to kill yourself 

• 4 weeks ago

its harmful for anyone

• Jake
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

helpful        

• 4 weeks ago

No, it actually makes the voice smoother and deeper!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.