Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

Are adult women capable of deciding whether or not to sleep with adult men, or do they need to be protected from powerful men?

Not someone who works for the same company.

As a grown woman I am quite capable of deciding as to whether or not I wish to have sex with a guy. I don't need someone else making that decision for me 

• Foofa

The bigger point is that if these "powerful men" are basically their coworkers (a la Harvey Weinstein, Les Moonves, Matt Lauer, et al) they shouldn't have to provide sex to these guys just to continue working in the fields they've already sacrificed to become successful in. The likes of Mira Sorvino, Gwyneth Paltrow and Annabella Sciorra were hardly unknown ingenues when Weinstein threatened them. Two of the three already had Oscars and should never been blackmailed into either servicing him or having their careers ruined. It's even worse when we're talking about more anonymous occupations. No married mom who's worked her way up to district manager in whatever field should have to face this from a man who's supposed to be a professional colleague. Guys would feel different about this if their male work superiors started demanding sex in exchange for remaining employed. 

^¡《,》¡^

I don'ť sėe this as a sex-based nor gėndėr 

issuė but on an individual level & folks w/åny

mėńtal health diagnosis should be givėn å

Guardian !

,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,

• Jesere

Your ignorance is showing 

Nope. All adults - men or women, need to decide for their own. 

Adult women are capable of deciding whether or not to sleep with someone and who they sleep with, just as adult men are. They're all autonomous human beings (assuming there are no issues which would prevent this such as a mental handicap.)

However, both adult women and adult men can be vulnerable in certain situations to older, powerful people. Even if they don't work in the same company or industry, they can sometimes be manipulated, controlled, or blackmailed into sex. Again, this is true for both women and men, especially when they're young and naive. 

Many women are brought up to trust men and feel like they have to have sex with them.  Some women, especially young women feel so desperate to get a modelling contract or be offered a job within an acting career, that they feel that they 'have' to carry out an act they hate, because their 'Manager'/Scout etc, tells them lies, that if they carry out this act, they'll be offered work.

As a self proclaimed Feminist, I was bought up to trust men and I personally found it tricky to get out of those situations where I had to be 'point blank rude' to get away from unwanted attention.  Many women don't like being 'rude or aggressive' and put too much trust into men that take advantage of them.

This issue is complicated and I'm sure many Feminists will be outraged by my views, that many women, still need to be protected by men, especially those of us, whom were brought up with the believe that we trust men.

Definitely. I just understood what cancel culture is a few days ago after hearing it online and I thought if she is 16 years old she isnt oblivious. And even some girls younger want sex and know what they are doing. I agree that if girls give consent they should be looked passed because let's be honest, just because they are young doesnt mean they are oblivious of what's going on. If the girl accepted the intercourse, men shouldn't be charged.

I became really sexual around 17. If I would have been a year earlier its illegal in a lot of states. If a young girl has sex with someone their age, why do people have to be charged for being with someone older?

Sex is sex no matter the age.

My mother was legally under age when she was with my dad and she is still married when she was of age to be married at the age. My dad is not a rapist or a person to take advantage and they have been married for 31 years. My mother was 18-19 when she gave birth to me and my brother. She  has been married to my father since

My grand mother was 15 when she got married to my grandpa in his 20s and she was married till she passed away after 40-50 years of marriage. She wasnt takin advantage of. She know what was going on

No, most are prudes these days.