Why do people say the legalization of ‘gay marriage’? What about trans people?

So like when talking about the legalization of gay marriage in they us, not only did that let millions of gay people get married but it also let millions of trans people get married. Why do people say ‘gay marriage’ when it affects the entire LGBTQ+ community. Couldn’t people say ‘queer marriage’ ‘gay and trans marriage’ or ‘lgbtq+ marriage’ it erases us (trans ppl) from the narrative in a movement that was started by us. It feels intentional. Why do we keep being overshadowed. Literally nobody cares about us in anything. It’s just ‘tough luck it’s how it is’ with everything from our representation in the media to casual stuff like this.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Sky
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

"Gay marriage" is just the common media-used term.  Legally it's referred to as same-sex marriage, ie. both people were born with the same type of genitals.  Therefore, that includes transgender people marrying whoever they're in love with regardless of their respective physical sex.  And I don't believe for a second that you're a transgender person lamenting such a perceived injustice; you're just an anonymous chickenshit troll trying to stir things up.

• 4 weeks ago

The name comes from how the media reported it.  They do so in order to generate unrest and so with unrest comes higher readership which delivers higher profits to them. 

The change in the law allowed two people to marry. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Trans people could ALREADY GET MARRIED before gay marriage. You sound like a narcissist who wants gay people to be erased. Don't call me queer!

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Which is why I always use the term Marriage Equality when referring to the issue or simply say "marriage" with no qualifications at all.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Transgenders are included in the Abnormal and Deviant Marriages Act of 2006.

• 4 weeks ago

You're right they should just say marriage. But if a trans person legally changes their gender then they can marry the opposite gender and it would be straight. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

But it's not "gay marriage" in legalese, it was called the "equality of marriage act" or simply marriage.  Any two consenting adults who wish to marry are now free to do so.

• 4 weeks ago

Well I'm in a trans marriage, because obviously that can happen as easily as any heterosexual marriage in certain combinations if one spouse isn't out.  The thing about this marriage is that it just does have a lot of privilege compared to a gay marriage because we just did the usual marriage stuff with no prejudice in evidence relating to our sexuality or gender identities whatsoever.  Also, marriage isn't all that.  It's heteronormative and needs to cease to exist.  And if you're thinking about erasure, that seems quite an entitled way to approach things.  We transition because we're more useful to the common good when we do, not for our own benefit (although obviously it does benefit us).

• 4 weeks ago

I thought the reason people got married was simply because they loved each other. How about just "marriage"?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.