do i need a realtor to buy a house?

i asked google and google said no but im curious to know if anyone has ever bought a house without a realtor and why do people get a realtor? because im sick of having realtors that seem to only show me the pricey houses but skip over the houses i actually ask to see

No--you don't have to have a realtor. However--it's a lot easier. If you're not happy with the realtors you are using, hire someone else. They vary considerably--and some will work harder than others. If you are being shown houses that you don't want, are out of your price range or are otherwise not suitable, then you have to be foreceful enough to TELL them that you ONLY want to see certain places--and that you will not consider anything else. 

Are you using your OWN agent or the seller's agents? You should hire your own. Hiring an attorney is a lot more expensive than hiring a realty agency--so be careful about WHO you hire. 

You can hire a real estate lawyer to help you through the process.  If you see a house you like, call the listing agent for that house. You do not need to sign any long term contract calling for you to use the same agent all of the time.

• 28AKO

Not unless you want one

It would be ridiculous for a novice buyer to purchase without a realtor.  The realtor is paid for by the seller and is there to help protect you.

You need to have an open conversation with your realtor.

- this is my price range

- this is what the house has to have

- I want it these neighborhood

Don't be surprised if they say, you can only get that in fantasy land. 

Many if not most real estate agents charge a percent of the sale price for their fee.  Which is why you are being shown the high-priced houses...bigger fee for them.

But there are agents who charge a fixed fee no matter what the sales price might be.  Shop around and find one of those.  They'll be less likely to show the high-priced ones because they'll get the same fee from you for the low ones that you're more likely to buy.

Your Google research results are correct.  You don't have to use an agent.  But you're asking for lots of legal issues if you don't.  There is all kinds of legal tasks that must be performed according to State and local laws.  And if you mess one up that could invalidate the sale of the house and land you in jail.  A good agent will keep that from happening.

Use a fixed fee agent.

No it's not necessary, but highly recommended.  Tell the Realtor $X is the most I want to spend and if you can't show me homes in that price range I will find someone else.  You're not paying the commission!  Now if you haven't been pre qualified for a mortgage, do it now.  Not only does it establish the maximum mortgage, but it shows the Realtor you're serious about buying.  And sellers won't accept an offer without it.

It is not necessary to go through a realtor, but since you know nothing about the process, a realtor can be very helpful. Do you have a mortgage preapproved? Have you told the realtor your mortgage limit & price limit? It is up to you to be very specific with your realtor as to your needs & desires - and sort "needs" vs "desires." 

Why didn't the realtor show you the specific home you asked to see? Is it sold, under contract, off-market? Could the seller not be contacted, or not available to show that day? House not meet requirements you specified? Are your needs & wants available within your price range? Or are you looking for 4 BR house on a 2BR starter-home budget? 

Go to some open houses, see what's new on the market, what you can get for your money in your area. Meet the realtors, talk to them. 

I am in the UK so rules may be different.  The first house I bought was through an Estate gent (realtor).  The reason we bought it through them was because the owner had placed their house on the books of that agent and they were under contract to sell it through them.  Even if I had wanted to, I couldn't buy it directly through the owner.  In those days, the internet wasn't as widespread as it is now, so the agent would market the property for their client and help with dealing with solicitors.  My house I live in now, I bought directly from the owners.  I knew where I wanted to live and put leaflets through all the doors on the street.  One person responded.  I had a look, fell in love with the property and engaged a solicitor to do the legal work.  The sellers saved on agents fees and the process was fairly painless.  Most people place their homes with an agent because they want someone else to organise photos, market the property and sometimes deal with viewings.  When I sold my first house, the agents organised fantastic photos and a viewing day where I had a number of offers.  My house sold quickly.

It sounds as if you need to sit down and have a proper talk with them about why they are not following your wishes.  Are you being clear enough about your budget and requirements of the property?

If you are unsatisfied with your realtor, then did you sign a binding agreement with them?  If not, you can tell them that their services are no longer required and find another.

u do not need a realtor to  FIND  a house. but as all people who sell their properties sell them through some real estate agencies u will have to deal with a realtor - seller's realtor. and yes, i agree with u, when we were buying our houses - one where we live and one abroad that was exactly the same experience as u had - they kept showing overpriced ugly properties. i was like "what da fck, why did u bring us here". so we ourselves were searching on internet and in windows of real estate agencies.  our home where we live we found through internet - they had very good presentation and even video of the house. the one in france we found in the window of real estate agency, we accidentially parked our car right next to the window and my husband decided to study what was there on a display. the house was not listed on any internet site. i asked the agent afterwards what was the deal with that, he said the owners didnt want it on internet. i think he lied, they were just lazy

• Isabel

It's possible, but it's a very very bad idea.  It's way too complicated for a novice.