Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 weeks ago

Can I sue my company for terminating me due to being out from testing positive for Covid-19?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

No.  They need reliable employees and that means healthy employees.   You are paid to be there, not off sick.  If you have over-extended the number of sick days you are allowed, then they have every right to fire you.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • 4 weeks ago

You can sue anyone. Your chances of winning are slim.  If you work for an employer with less than 50 employees or a larger one and have been employed less than a year, FMLA would not apply (assuming you filed the FMLA paperwork for this illness).  If you are not covered under a collective bargaining unit with a labor union, that would address absence due to illness, you are an at-will employee. The employer doesn't need a reason to terminate someone as long as it's not discriminatory.  Your being unavailable to work is reason enough and again, they don't need a reason. A lawsuit would go nowhere.

• 4 weeks ago

Not successfully.

• not
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

FMLA rules cover these issues in the US. Read up. 

Flma doesn't apply to companies with fewer than 50 employees. You can't expect a company to go out of business while you are sick

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

workers rights ?.  

what are you, a red communist ?

what next, demanding "human rights" .  

this is not a democracy

• Robin
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

yes of course you can

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.