Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender & Women's Studies · 1 month ago

Is there any logical reason to lose weight (for women)?

European society pressures women to be skinny and lose weight. Women in Africa, South America and South Asia are mostly fat but still remain healthier than skinny white european women. That clearly means women can be healthy inspite of being overweight and it is normal for women to be fat. I don't know why is there any need for women to lose weight and get stick like thin which is prevalent in European countries.

• Foofa
    Favorite Answer

One assumes your idea of "stick thin" is probably just the average based on the physiology of the typical European woman. I've spent a lot of time in Europe and there weren't skeletons walking around. But some people can be "fit fat" and others can't. Unless you're big boned and have the genetics to be aerobically sound while still carrying around extra weight you're probably doing permanent damage to your body. I've known overweight women who can run a 5K without dropping but I've known many more with diabetes, heart disease and chronic joint pain. The trick is to figure out which type you are and then either embrace it or do something to fix it. 

Diabetes, cardiovascular disease risks, kidney disease?

• Bill

Once again everything you said is wrong. lol

Well, it's scientific/medical fact that being slim is healthier than being overweight/fat/obese. It also looks more attractive. I'm an American woman and in the minority in that my BMI is just under 19 (healthy weight category.) I don't starve myself. I just eat a balanced, organic, healthy diet with lots of fruit and vegetables and I regularly work out and play sports. Yet, I get accused of being anorexic by people from time to time and it does annoy me. Sadly, fatness has been normalized in our society because it's so prevalent. 

I think America puts too much of an emphasis on women (and men to some degree) to be stick thin and that can be very unhealthy. If losing weight isn't in the interest of your own health and well being, there's no point to it. Though for most people being obese in of itself will make you unhealthy whether you eat right or not, it's not impossible to be medically healthy and obese too. Being overweight in of itself isn't a medical condition, but it can cause some if you're not careful. For some people, eating healthy and exercising doesn't make them thin and that's okay as long as it's not causing any problems. Eating unhealthy foods is what causes most conditions linked to obesity but many thin people don't eat right either. Either way, I'm not your doctor and I can't tell you what to eat or how eating whichever thing will affect your body. For instance, I have hypoglycemia so I have to eat a regular amount of carbs in order to function throughout the day whereas someone who is diabetic would probably have a blood sugar spike. Then again if I were overweight and eating carbs, people would probably judge me for that and think I'm not looking out for my health when they don't know what my health is like. 

Essentially what I'm saying is if you're an adult, you hold your own health in your hands and other people who try to tell you to lose weight for your health but don't know you are usually looking for an excuse to be an @sshole. You know what's good for you, I don't. Hell even if you're eating unhealthy and it's detrimental to your health it's none of my business unless I know you personally or if I'm your doctor. There's no reason for strangers to get so angry at fat people just for being fat as if it's a personal insult to them. 

You don't have to be stick thin, just a healthy weight. Get like that and you'll live longer and have a much better quality of life over a fat person. On average anyway.

Incidently, most women in Europe are not stick thin. I assure you, from just looking out my window.

• Petter

There is no need. Just like you say, it's a lot more detrimental to your health to be underweight than to be within "normal" weight. In the rich world it's much more important to  follow the trends than to be healthy, sad but true.

Women by nature carry a lot more fat than men, but still most (?) western women seem to think they should have the same slim bodies as athletic men. That will usually never happen without some rather extreme self starvation of some form.