Why does Christianity say that you're supposed let others verbally abuse you?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • yesmar
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

It's a common misunderstanding of Jesus' teaching of non-retaliation.  Although it is true that as a follower of Jesus one is not supposed to return evil for evil, it is not true that we are supposed to just let people abuse us.

Source(s): Jesus follower
  • 4 weeks ago

Words can not harm you, and physical violence can NOT change your inner thoughts.   Where the church is persecuted, is where it grows the most, since only the sincere  are members 

• 4 weeks ago

Because in Christian morality if someone says something rude to you, you can kill them.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Christianity doesn't say we're supposed TO do that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • swolt
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If it does, I've never encountered a Christian who actually followed that tenet of the religion.

• 4 weeks ago

To teach us to rise above another’s negative behavior, no different than a two year-old sassing back. 

• 4 weeks ago

What people call "verbal abuse" today, is not what Jesus meant when He told Christians to "turn the other cheek" when being personally insulted. Nowadays, if you offend anyone with what you say, they can report you to the police and have you charged with a new law. There's one proposed for Scotland about which Dr Andrew Tickell, law lecturer at Glasgow Caledonian University tweeted:

"Drawing ragged lines between permissible and imperissible speech is a tricky business at the best of times... I can see it now. I'm braced for the deluge. "Is this tweet a hate crime?" Report! Report! Report!

The world is now full of people eager to find fault with what others say to them, or about them, so that they can file legal charges and win lots of money for being offended and insulted by another person's speech. See what happens when people dismiss Jesus' command to "turn the other cheek" when being personally insulted?

Jesus answered people who asked legitimate questions of him, even when they were seeking to find fault so as to put Him to death, but He refused to respond in any way to insults, even when people were plucking out His beard. On the cross He asked for God the Father to forgive them "for they do not know what they are doing". That's our example.

• What does “turn the other cheek mean”

?

If you notice Jesus Himself defended Himself) at His trial. He responded to Caiaphas the high priest:

Matthew 26:62-64 And the high priest stood up and said, “Have you no answer to make? What is it that these men testify against you?” [63] But Jesus was silent. And the high priest said to him, “I adjure you by the living God, tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God.” [64] Jesus said to him, “You have said so. But I tell you, hereafter you will see the Son of man seated at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.” 

Jesus also replied to Pontius Pilate: “You would have no power over me unless it had been given you from above; therefore he who delivered me to you has the greater sin” (John 19:11). 

So Jesus wasn’t “silent” at all. He actually said quite a bit during His trial, which is often brought up as an example of his “turning the other cheek.” He replied at length to three different people

https://m.ncregister.com/blog/darmstrong/what-does...

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

De-escalation. Would you rather have hurt feelings or a gaping wound? Or worse. 

Jesus just wants us to get along. You dont put out fires by adding fuel to them. You take fuel away.

• 4 weeks ago

Because it is Christlike to turn the other cheek, rather than to degenerate yourself to the level of those who mock and scoff at you. Remember Matthew 5:5

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.