Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · 4 weeks ago

Why is Brian the Dog from family guy an atheist when he has literally seen/met Jesus and death multiple times?

I know it a cartoon in all but for some reason that story plot never made much sense to me so...?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Well in one episode the Patriots kept losing so that pretty much explains it

• 4 weeks ago

Stevie brought that up at one point and Brian basically said it’s complicated 

• 4 weeks ago

Because he says he is. Regardless of the time he prayed or met Jesus or death.

• 4 weeks ago

IIRC, the show is MOSTLY episodic, as are most sitcoms throughout history.  Meaning after each episode the show mostly resets to zero.  Prior events are almost 'non-canon'.  This is only not the case when the cast changes (Brian's death) or when the current episode would LIKE to reference a past episode to serve the current plot.

In other words, this isn't like Breaking Bad where every episode adds to the lore and you EXPECT things to build on each other.  It's episodic.  Mostly.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Robert
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

He is a talking dog who lives as a human member of the family.  You are looking for it to make sense?  

• James
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

As an atheist it's possible to believe in Jesus without believing in God. Jesus was a human after all. If he were to be alive today and perform the same miracles, I still wouldn't think he's God. We've seen David Blaine, Criss Angel, and David Copperfield perform similar tricks.

As for Death, I don't remember if he did anything special on Family Guy. I don't recall him doing anything "magical." But again, if he did, the same logic applies.

• 4 weeks ago

Stewie did ask Brian in the episode where Peter went to Heaven and met God. Apparently, Brian didn't believe Peter actually met God and that he may have hallucinated the whole event.

Oddly, Brian recognized Jesus as who He said He was, and agreed with Jesus's view that all religions are basically the same.

Then again, this could be all part of the show's inconsistency and rule of comedy over logic.

• 4 weeks ago

He is an atheist because it fits his liberal intellectual writer persona. Brian is also a phony. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Jesus isnt a recurring character on family guy. He shows up in one episode where he's like a record store manager just slumming around. And death as a person isnt really a religious concept. Almost all cultures across the world have some concept of death as a being.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.