Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 4 weeks ago

Wedding reception: many round tables or fewer long rectangle tables?

Which would you prefer as a guest?

I love the idea of having fewer family-style long tables in rows but I feel like guests might prefer smaller, round tables.

I would use round tables instead of long & rectangular tables, I don't like those.

• Foofa

Round tables are said to increase the "flow" of a party. Long tables are more formal of course. So it kind of depends on whether your focus is a sit down dinner or the after dinner circulation of people around the space. 

I hate eating at long tables, you just can't talk to anyone other than those immediately in front or alongside you. Due to the pandemic, you may wish to consider social distancing as part of your planning, or even modify your entire wedding, or not have it at all. No one wants to attend a wedding and come home to die. 

It depends.  At a round table, guests can more easily speak with everyone at the table rather than just the people next to them or directly across from them.  A vary long table is also awkward to walk around.  Most banquet rounds seat 8-10 people.

Of course, in the time of COVID-19, you want want to seat people very differently.  Attending a wedding reception dinner in close proximity to other people carries a high risk of infection no matter how you are seated. 

• Jerry

I prefer round tables because they encourage general conversation instead of just conversing with those to your left and right, because there is no "head of the table" place and everyone is equal. Remember, a wise host uses the seating plan to break up the couples, families, and friendship groups and prompt people who don't yet know each other, people who don't yet know each other well, to introduce themselves and get to know each other better. A successful party includes lots of meeting and getting to know new people, not just people hanging around with people they already know.