Anonymous

What are some careers/jobs that pay enough for a single wage earner to support themself? ?

Serious question here. I just got out of high school and am debating what to go to school for. I'd like to assess my options. However, I'm single (F) and not planning to get married anytime soon. 

I know I'm definitely not interested in becoming a plumber, welder, electrician, etc. ....What are some jobs for women that pay enough to live on that aren't labor trades? 

I thought about becoming a cosmetologist, but everyone tells me there's "no money" in it and is more designed for someone with a working spouse. :/

Favorite Answer

A great deal depends on where you want to live. First, the cost of living varies a great deal. In my area, people who are teachers, servers in restaurants, hair dresser, office workers, etc. can live quite nicely. That might not be true in southern California or New York, where housing is so much more expensive. Second, the amount of work varies. I know a cosmetologist in New York who makes a very nice living. There's tons of work- every person in a stage show has to be made up, every model at a fashion show, and there are plenty of rich people who pay someone to do their make up. The prospects would be quite different in a small town. 

The $$'s in certificate & Associate degree health fields, or the trades.

• MS

Nursing, medical sonography, dental hygiene, education...  Some of this certainly depends on where you live - you might be paid enough to easily support yourself and be comfortable in some areas, while not so much in others.

single wage earner to support themself

bipolar is an expensive condition.

Trade jobs are good paying if you are good at them, I wouldn't discount them just because you are female. While there are lots of jobs that a single earner could very well support themselves on... it really depends on where you are working, how long you've been in the field, and so many other factors. I mean, I've got two masters degrees (education and counseling) and you'd think I'd be able to make a living with either one of those... however, many days I wish I'd gone into welding or construction. 

Those trades have loads of opportunities for women now, but not all women are cut out for trades. Same goes for technicians in various fields such as computer techs, X-ray or laboratory & other health-related technicians, etc.

You need to assess yourself! Where do your talents, interests, skills & abilities, personality & character traits lie? You cannot succeed in a field that does not suit you, that you are not committed to. Do you prefer to work as part of a group/team, or are you so self-directed that you can work independently? Are you content with routine, or crying for lots of varied duties that keep you on your toes all the time? First, you have to know what kind of person you are before you can start looking at careers which potentially fit you. 

• drip

Do you mean hair stylist?  Average monthly salary across the US is $2482. 

Starting out At $1100 per month. On the high end, years of working and/or being in an upscale area you could make $4375 per month. 

You got it think about benefits too.  Will you start out at full time hours with health insurance? Also as a hair stylist where is there to grow? How do you move up, into what position.  Running your own salon means more skill sets in running a small business. 

Vet Tech can make a little more money. My friend’s daughter got her Vet Tech certificate and started at a Vet office. She continued to get office management classes at her CC. She was working front office and in the back with the Vet when needed. She went to a large Vet hospital and work Mainly in the office. Now she is head of the front office. Making decent money. 

Factory work can bring in decent  pay and great benefits. Especially if you are part of a large company. And there is room to move up.

Any thing on the health field. CPN, two year RN, radiology tech, Phlebotomist, medical sonographer, respiratory therapist. Medical coding, medical billing. 

Bookkeeping, hotel management. 

All done within two years.

Look at your community colleges web site and see what they offer.

There are too many to list. Nurse, plumber, film technician, electrician, sales or marketing person, mechanic, hairdresser once you get good at it, lab technician, paralegal, truck driver, accountant, registered massage therapist, lawyer, doctor or almost anything to do with physical or mental health treatment, architect, engineer, welder, pilot, dentist, denturist, dental hygienist, geologist, teacher in some places, physical or occupational therapist.....really there are lots of them. I'm not even mentioning people who work in computer stuff.

Air traffic control, if you're under 30. Paralegal. Most health care fields like nursing, dental hygiene, or radiation technology. 

Really anything. Are you willing to get a bachelor's degree, or only an associate's? 

Cutting hair if you're good at it.