Is this love or is he confused?

My friend has been talking to this girl for about 8 months straight now. They work together, and they both like surfing so they go surfing like once every 3 weeks or so (in a large group not just them). They've never kissed, or had any sort of relationship, except that they act like they are but she's clearly just using him for his attention and that cause she know he is really into her. My friend (who hasnt had much experience with woman) told me he loves her, but I feel like this isn't love like how can you love someone you've never kissed nor went on dates with etc? Thoughts?

Love is subjective, so if he feels like he is in love then he is. I understand your concern for your friend, but the best thing you can do for him is be there if she breaks his heart. 

If he told you he loves her he probably does and it’s normal tbh. Some people fall in love with they’re  crushes. Maybe she likes him but she wants to keep it lowkey  and he wants a relationship soon, or maybe she’s not ready for it but it could also be she’s using him. If they don’t get serious when a year passes maybe you should tell him to talk to her. 

• Bleu

It sounds like he has a crush on her.