Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 4 weeks ago

Why is it that people have been saying that a diagnosis of diabetes ?

Have made them feel ‘devastated’ rather than happy or great 

• I can certainly say that I was happy to not have something much more devastating but it was a major change in my lifestyle and nothing will make me think that is a good thing. 

If you live in the US, diabetic supplies and medication can cost you as much as $1,300/month depending on your insurance if you even have insurance. My parent paid a little over $4k/year and had what is considered great insurance. There are pretty significant risks to your health from diabetic comas, loss of vision and limbs. It's a lifetime of medication and visiting the doctor a minimum of 4 times a year not to mention that you are suddenly at higher risk for infections of any kind, heart attacks or strokes which will mean more meds. 

Diabetes is a very serious disease which often leads to early disability and/ or death.