Jake asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

I'm white, can I learn Navajo?

I'm super interested in linguistics, it's a very huge special interest of mine (I'm autistic) but I just wanted to know, preferably from anyone who's part of the Navajo nation, if it's okay for me to learn navajo as a white person? I think it's really neat and works in an interesting way due to how much it relies on verbs which isn't something you see a whole lot, but I want to make sure it's okay for me to learn it first.

There's no reason why anyone, of any ethnicity, shouldn't learn any language associated with any other ethnicity.

• Rain

The skin color has no influence on the learning of a language.

There is no law against it.

I daresay some outraged SJW will call you out for "cultural appropriation" but the best thing to do with people like that is ignore them.

I'm white.  Can I learn Navajo?

That depends on your foreign language aptitude.  

Ya'at'eeh ! It won't be easy but definitely rewarding.

Source(s): Several friends of mine are Dine, including one who teaches it in schools.
  • Zirp

If you find a teacher yes

However, if you never learned a foreign language to fluency yet, it is highly recommended to learn an easier language first.

No one is going to stop you, but they might question your motivation!