how do you kill ants in a house?

Hey, I’ve used cheap jelly (Welch’s) and borax in the past and have had success. However, I’m in a different residence now and, well, haha, I’m a bit older. 

New digs, old problem... ANTS!!! 

They’re like an invading army, my only piece of mind is I find them primarily annoying where as house flies spread disease IMO.

So using Terro ant bait, they are looking gone. The traps are where the cats can’t reach and I’ve no kids... so Terro is low fuss and all th8ngs considered, worth it. 

2 packs of 6 bait traps each, a cost of maybe $10 at Tractor Supply.

This frugal old man is pleased.... 

I’ve always had good success with Terro and bait.  Follow the package directions.

I've heard mixing equal amounts of powdered sugar and borax works. Put it on a piece of waxed paper and leave it where you see ants

I don't want to kill ants.

• CB

Shotgun, Number 12 shot, works like a charm or and ever better "Syngenta - TRTD11568 - Optigard Ant Bait Gel Box - 4 Tubes w/Plunger - 30g Each Tube"

Find the nest or the entry point. Pour some white vinegar into the area where the ants are coming in and wipe down EVERYTHING they touch with vinegar. Boiling water in the nest will kill the eggs. Ants are attracted to food--all food--but particularly grease and sugar. Make sure you have NO food sitting out or that is easily accessible. You have to keep at it. Ants are persistent. They crawl and leave 'scent' trails everywhere they go--so you have to remove those in order to get the ants to leave. 

We use sugar and cinnamon in a bottle cap. Put this near the problem area. Of course try to find if the is a primary source that may cause them to enter your home. All the best. 

• A

mix up a powder of  2 tablespoons baking soda and 2 tablespoons confection sugar, mix well, and put out in small containers

Squoosh them with your shoe.

The way *I* do it is to 

First clean up what they found and are eating.  Use wipes or any cleaner which will disinfect and destroy the invisible trail the ants are following.  Make sure to clean up any dead bodies as well.  

At the same time, get Terro Ant Bait traps (either HD or Lowes).  The other brands with the solid traps never do the trick for me.  Put the trap where you think they're coming in.  You may find you had that wrong and will need to move the trap later.  That's fine.  Leave the trap there until no more ants are coming in.  If there are still ants and an empty trap, then put out another one.  Yes, this *will* attract a lot more ants for a few days.  That's a good thing because it means more poison being taken back to the nest and to the queen.  Once their trail is gone, get rid of the traps, wipe down the trail with windex, 409, etc.  If there is an easy fix for the hole they came in, then fix it.  Just know that once a new colony eventually moves back in, they'll find a new way in if they want.

Of course, if you're just talking about a few scouts, then kill the scouts on spot.  You can still put traps out, but figuring out where they're coming in will be much more difficult.