JJ asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 1 month ago

I get itchy when I play bassoon?

It doesn't happen every time, but sometimes when I am practicing bassoon I get itchy all over my body. I have been playing for six years, and the issue hasn't decreased the less nervous I get about playing, so don't say it's that. Do any other bassoonists or musicians in general have this issue?

It is possible that you have allergies - more likely from airborne things, than touch (would would only be contact dermatitis where you touch the bassoon, reeds,etc.)  But this is either in your environment - or ingested thru your mouth.  If you are keeping your reeds in a soaking container - better clean and disinfect it!  and those reeds need to go under a UV-C light to kill germs - or you have to toss them (yeah, I know what good reeds cost - I am a professional flutist, so colleagues moan to me.  You can also add some Peroxyl (Colgate mouthwash) to you soak water - kills EVERYTHING.