Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 4 weeks ago

Could my sisters T1 diabetes be prevented ?

My sister has type 1 diabetes and was told from a very young age (5-6) that she’s at high risk of developing type 1 diabetes and we’ve done everything we could including going vegan and carb free to prevent her from developing type 1 diabetes and she was diagnosed at 16/17. It was utterly heart breaking and my parents almost spilt up over her diagnosis and $1000s spent on preventing diabetes.  

• Edna

You said your sister has had Type I diabetes from the time she was 5 or 6 years old. Why are you saying now that "she’s at high risk of developing Type 1 diabetes"?  She already HAS Type I diabetes!

• Cammie

Everyone is correct in telling you that type one can not be prevented. You say she was a vegan with no carbs ????? That only leaves oil to eat ??? That makes no sense. Meat and carbs do not trigger diabetes.

I have an adult daughter who was dxed at age 2.I have no idea how that could trigger a divorce.What did they spend $$$$ big money on ?

A lot here doesn't make sense.

Nothing that we know about has ever prevented type 1 diabetes no more than we know how to prevent autoimmune hypothyroidism, lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. We don't know how to prevent any autoimmune disease which is what type 1 diabetes is. 

Vaccines do not cause it and milk no matter what quacks say about it there isn't any evidence to show anyone can do anything to prevent it. 

Well, did you prevent her from vaccines or milk/dairy products?

NO. Type 1 diabetes is an auto immune disease usually triggered by an acute infection with high fevers over 102° F over 3 or 4 days. After the acute infection the immune system over reacts and destroys insulin producing beta cells in the islets of Langerhans in the pancreas over several weeks or months. The triggering diseases include influenza, chicken pox, pneumonia, roseola (a strep infection) and probably rubella, red measles, mumps, diphtheria, whooping cough and tetanus. 

Type 1 diabetes can happen at ANY age. Mary Tyler Moore was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was 40 years old in 1963. I was 10 years old and had been a type 1 diabetic for 8 years. I was 26 months old when my pediatrician confirmed my mother's diagnosis. 

Neither you nor your sister is responsible for your parents spending thousands of dollars on fake fraudulent prevention methods. You CANNOT prevent type 1 diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is NOT genetic.  

You said she was diagnosed when she was 16 years old. What happened in the year before she was diagnosed? Did she have a bad case of the flu? 7 months before my pediatrician confirmed my mother's diagnosis I had roseola.   

Vegan diets include carbs. A person on a no carb diet would starve death. That is essentially what happens to untreated type 1 diabetics in addition to going into diabetic ketoacidosis and diabetic coma. 

No one could have prevented this. 

Source(s): Type 1 diabetic since 1955, 65+ years and counting.

No.

Sadly, it seems that your parents are very poorly informed about diabetes.

Type 1 diabetes has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with what someone eats, or doesn't eat.  It's an autoimmune condition that arises when, for some reason, her body's own immune system deliberately attacks the beta cells (Islets of Langerhans) of the pancreas and destroys them.  It's this failure to be able to produce insulin, which is required to 'transport' glucose, which we get from the breakdown of carbohydrates during the digestive process, from the bloodstream into the muscles, where it is used to generate energy, thereby keeping us alive.