Do tiny windshield chips spread even though I don’t have cracks in windshield?

I have a tiny windshield chip in my windshield. It looks like a really tiny pebble hit it. The size is maybe a little bit bigger than the tip of a ballpoint pen. There are no cracks coming out of the chip but I always have the “What if” in the back of my head. Is it worth getting the chip taken care of? Does a chip have to have the glass line running from the crack in order to spread or would it make a way to spread regardless? 

I've had chips that didn't do anything, even after years of driving - and I've had them spider the first time I drove the car at highway speeds.

Any time I have windshield damage that I am worried about spreading I will buy a repair kit and fix it.

Get it fixed.  Most window places will epoxy it for $30.  Your car insurance may pay that as they would prefer not to have to pay for an entire new windshield,   which they will have to do if the crack spreads out.   They tend to do that given enough time. 

Sometimes yea and sometimes no.  Some cracks can be very small and hard to see.  But they do grow.

Yes, chips can lead to cracks. It would be wise to get it repaired before it does.

• Ron

leave it alone. if it really bothers you call your insurance