How many jobs is to many on a resume?

Favorite Answer

We, in the HR department, are primarily interested in the job you held most recently.

AND we prefer to not hire people who have had 3 or more jobs in the past 3 years.

We also look for the resume to be  3 pages or less...ideally only 2 pages.

So 2 page resume and 4 jobs is best.

AND if the job history goes back over 15 years...just the 3 most recent jobs...unless they were all temp jobs.

Focus on the job s that show (me) that you have the skills that are being advertised in the job listing you are looking at.

Example: Just interviewed a lovely gentleman for a receptionist position.  His last job was for one of those 'Guest Suites' hotel places.  The description of his job at that place showed me that he had accumulated all the skills in his 2.5 years there...that we need here.  The fact that the job before that was at a hardware store and he was there for 6 months...was compensated in the job before THAT one...where he was front desk at a nursing home for 4 years.

And I honestly do not remember looking at the other 2 jobs he listed...because in the past 5 years he SHOWED he had more than enough experience to do the job here.

On any resume, only list jobs that are relevant to the job you are seeking, not ALL the jobs you've ever had. Cardinal rule. Employers will not want to read through a history of your employment, and it usually ends up making the resume too long--more than one page and they'll toss it rather than read it. 

Source(s): Worked in HR for 31 years.

How many pages long is your resume.  One page is best.  Two pages is fine.  No more than two pages.

Actually I was told to put down where I was working for the previous 10 year span.

• I can go back about 20 years. I've only had a hand full of jobs. 

The one's where I didn't last more then a few weeks, I don't use on my resume. Jobs that are more then 5 years old (no one is likely to remember you from that long ago), also don't go on my resume, unless I've been there for a long time. But I don't use them as a reference. You want to make your self look reliable and stable, that you want to be working at a company for as long as possible. 

• Scott

I can go back 30 years on my resume and list 3 jobs. Too many jobs in too short of a time indicates a lack of stability, although people do change jobs more frequently today than in years past.

• k w

3-5 max, just to keep it simple

*too

----------------------