Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 3 weeks ago

Female employee gained a ton of weight in quarantine, how do I address this with her?

We’re in an area that’s beginning to reopen, and this young lady must have gained nearly 50 lbs. I’ve tried dropping hints by commenting that her clothing doesn’t look very comfortable, and I know she can’t be totally oblivious, but I do think she’s in denial over just how big she’s gotten. I did wonder if she could be pregnant, but overheard another employee congratulate her only to be told she isn’t. 

I think we’re all astonished by her rapid gain and a bit concerned, but unfortunately I’m the one who has to sit down and discuss it with her. I’d appreciate any advice. My boss is getting on me about talking to her as I’ve been putting it off. The main problem is that she’s still trying to squeeze herself into the work clothes she wore before COVID. They’re very tight and ill-fitting - I don’t know how she’s even getting into some of them, to be honest. A few examples: having to unbutton her pants so she can sit at her desk, shirts constantly riding up and exposing her belly, button-ups that show skin between buttons, and so on.

I also want to make sure she’s ok on a personal level, as she’s showing no signs of slowing down. Our company is providing extra mental & physical health resources to employees right now, and if she’s willing to see a doctor and/or therapist about this I’d gladly be flexible with scheduling.

Is it inappropriate to express my personal concerns and suggest she get checked out?

To clarify, I am her direct supervisor and responsible for enforcing the dress code. That’s why I need to have a conversation with her. It’s not like I’m planning on whipping out a measuring tape. I know it’s a sensitive subject. That’s why I’m seeking advice, since I basically have to tell her she’s now too large for the clothes she’s been wearing.

• J
    Favorite Answer

Her weight is none of your business. If her clothes are really that small, there’s ways to handle it respectfully. If she wears a uniform, just get one in her size and give it to her. If she wears her own clothes, it could be a problem. She probably doesn’t have clothes that fit her. Most clothing stores are still closed, and she might not be able to afford a new wardrobe right now. If you speak to her, you must do it in private. Do not ask about her health or personal issues. That’s none of your business. Just address the problem at hand, which is her violating the dress code. Id handle it gently. Try this:

“I’m sorry to have to bring this up, but I’ve noticed your clothes don’t seem to fit you. I’m not trying to make you uncomfortable, but your clothing is not appropriate for work. Please wear appropriate attire in the future.”

If there’s a problem, that will give her an opportunity to discuss it with you. 

You address the dress code like you would for anyone else who isn't following it.

Unless the job literally depends on her having a fit body, there’s no need to discuss with her. Many people have put on weight during this time it’s fine. She’s probably insecure about it herself so please just leave her alone

sounds like a massive troll. buy her some bigger clothes

You don’t. It’s rude, and it’s none of your business. 

You don't; it isn't your concern

She can get her uniform in the next size up if she needs to. Stop judging her. She's not the first person to have gained weight in quarantine and she definitely won't be the last.

you want to appear on dailymail? Drop it, she's probably fighting to lose the weight as well

It’s none of your business. If she’s still able to do her job, that’s all that matters.

Its none of your business, this is her own personal issue and you should not be making any comments whatsoever.  You could depending on where you work be liable for discrimination cases if you raise it.

Do not go there in any way whatsoever, its completely inappropriate.

HOLY CRAP YOU DON'T ADDRESS IT.   Does your company have a handbook section about employee weight?  If not then you are going to get your company sued if you start acting on any of the questionable thoughts you expressed in this question.  Also you need to immediately report your supervisor to his superior because him putting pressure on you to have some sort of non-specific conversation about an employee's weight is reckless and could open your company up to millions in legal liability, and cost you both your jobs.