Anonymous

I want to do something in the medical field but at extremely squeamish. So I don’t want a disgusting job or to do surgery...but I’m stuck. ?

I was think optometrist or anesthesiologist but I don’t know if they involve doing gross things... can someone help me out? Preferably a doctor?

At issue is the fact that whatever you do as a professional in the medical field, from becoming a nurse to a surgeon, you will have to participate in the 'gross;' stuff you don't like while in training. You will study anatomy and work on cadavers, whether or not you ever perform or participate in a surgery.  Get real--this is not the careeer for a person who can't stomach incisions, blood, and invasive procedures.     

• L

An Optometrist does eye surgeries.  An anesthesiologist gives people drugs to put them out while being operated on.  I have a Primary Care Doctor who does NOT do any surgeries at all. It's all up to you.

If you are extremely "squeamish," you do not belong in any health-related occupation where you encounter patients who may be ill or injured in any way during your training or while working. 

• Stella

Pharmacist, occupational therapist?

Don't try to become a doctor or a nurse if you can't get past being squeamish.

An anesthesiologist is always in an operating room. It wouldn't do for you to be there if you're squeamish. 

All medical fields are somewhat gross. You might want to consider X-ray technician or maybe physical therapy. 

If you are grossed out by the human body, why do you want to go into medicine at all? You're bound to run into something gross no matter what you end up with. 

• drip

An anesthesiologist will be in the operating room, they will see the surgery being done on the patient. An Optometrist doesn’t go to medical school. You can get a doctorate in the field, and you do learn about eye diseases. 

Psychiatrists are medical doctors. Anything that requires medical school, you will be doing “gross” things.  All medical students learn the same stuff and work on cadavers. 

Perhaps go into research as a chemist, bi-chemist or biologist. Physical therapy. psychology.

I think that you should probably steer away from medicine if you're squeamish. 

The problem is, even if you eventually find a field (like radiology) that has relatively few "icks", you have to *get* there. Medical school will be full of all kinds of clinical rotations with all kinds of nasty stuff. Plus medical residencies are extremely competitive, and it's a fair bet that you won't get your first choice. 

Consider biomedical research or other laboratory careers. 

• John

Unless you are willing to do something along the lines of medical administration, I would recommend you rethink your career plans.  To care for patients while not dealing with "gross things" is simply unrealistic.  

Most things in medical field involve gross stuff so it’s not for squeamish people. Even anesthesiologists deal with vomit and blood. Optometrists aren’t really doctors but deal with the occasional gross eye condition. Physical therapists are usually safe from gross stuff but do have to work with injuries that may still be raw with lots of stitches/drainage and the occasional poop/urine accident if a patient is weak or strains too much in therapy. You could always go into research or lab work. Still might be a bit yuck at times but nothing like being a doctor or nurse. I saw more yuck in my year of nursing clinicals than I saw once I started working but clinicals was rough and definitely required an iron stomach.

Source(s): Nurse

I think Patient is the most viable option in your case.