What is the point of learning coding if you can just have a website like wix or wordpress do it for you?

I purchased a book called building a website for dummies. And in the first chapters the author explains how to code links, font, images on HTML. However, someone told me that in Wix or Wordpress, you don't have to learn that (the coding part) that that part is done for you.

Favorite Answer

You get better customization if you know how to do it yourself.

What is the point of learning French or Chinese if you don’t ever need to speak these languages? For most people the answer is: there is NO point. 

Of course some people just love learning new languages. For them the answer is: it’s something I love doing and it enriches my life.Well, it’s the same with coding. Coding is not for everyone, but for some of us it’s just about the most fun thing imaginable!

• oyubir

If the only reason you want to learn to code is to build your website, you should quit coding at once, indeed.

There always be services to do it better.

But well, someone had to code Wix and wordpress, and will have to code their successor.

Excel and Word already exist. So what is the point of learning coding, if you can just use those to do easy computation of create a document?

Well, someone had to code Excel and Word.

Generally speaking, there are software that do about everything a end user could want. So no need for that end user to code.

Yet, someone had to code those software.

Plus, the fact that new software are issued everyday is the proof that old ones were not literally doing everything. So there is always need for new code, either in a new software, or on your website, if we talk about website design.

Note that usually software and/or services such as Wix or Wordpress are generalisation of things people were coding on their website.

They are always behind: people code cool features for their website, and those wix/wordpress creator see it, and integrate the same ability in their generator. 

So, those features were coded numerous times: plenty of time on indiviudal website, before wix/wordpress notice it, and code it one more time in their generator.

Now, of course, you can choose your side. Be among those who code the feature. Or among those who wait for someone to offer it.

There is no bad choice here. You can't do everything yourself. But for some people, that is what they do for a living.

You know, I almost never bake bread. I buy it at the bakery (I am in France, and there are 2 bakeries on every corner). It doesn't mean that baking bread is useless. It just means that I am not baker, but I am glad that some people are.

Likewise, I let other people build my car (what is the point of learning to build one, when you can just buy one? Well, not the same answer for the buyer than for the builder)

So, do you want do make a living by coding? Or do you want to just buy the product of those who do? Your call.

And, yes, you can be a web designer while being in the buyer side of this dichotomy.

• P

Wix and wordpress will offer basic websites with some very significant constraints.  If you want to make something truly dynamic and professional you will need to know all the gritty details of how it's put together.  Obviously you don't see bigger businesses with wix or wordpress pages. 

• keerok

IF you are satisfied with what you can do in Wix and Wordpress then fine but if you feel you can achieve more then you can only do that with HTML. I'm not familiar with Wix but Wordpress recognizes that. It has an option to code directly in HTML through their site.