Is a dual degree program at a nationally accredited online college respected?

I am trying to decide which of these options are better:

1. Getting a dual MBA/MHA degree from a nationally accredited college (Trident University)       OR2. Getting an MHA degree from a decently respected regionally accredited university (Appalachian State University)

The costs are fairly similar.  They are both affordable universities.  Both universities are accredited and the programs are accredited.  However, which one is taken more seriously by employers?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • John
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Appalachian State is the viable choice for future employment.

Regional accreditation is the older and long-respected type of accreditation.  National accreditation was created by inferior schools, who for some reason could not meet the standards to be regionally accredited. Most of the time the reasons they were denied regional was due to substandard academic standards, courses which do not meet minimum requirements, refusal to follow Title IX requirements, substandard instructors, and/or questionable financial practices.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No.  That's the wrong accreditation, and no employers take for-profit online schools seriously.

An online program offered by a properly REGIONALLY accredited, not-for-profit university would be OK, although those universities usually require SOME on-campus experience.

• MS
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Regional accreditation is FAR more respected than national accreditation.  I know that sounds backwards, but that's how it is.  Trident is a for-profit online university with a questionable reputation; employers would not look favorably upon this.  I would absolutely get the degree from Appalachian State, which is recognized as a legitimate university. 

• fcas80
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

You want a regionally accredited school, not a nationally accredited one.

Also, a traditional school may offer an online degree, but your diploma and transcript do not identify the degree as online.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.