do I have diabetes?

I asked Dr for appointment but have to wait two weeks. I did a home test with blood suger meter.  Results were 5.7 and 6.0. I don't eat suger or drink alcohol. Est sort of healthy but at min mp appite for last 5 days 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 days ago

Fasting blood sugar should be less than 7mmol/L

Postprandial blood sugar (2 hours after taking food) should be less than 11.1 mmol/L

The test should be repeated for more than 2 times.

There should be symptoms such as excessive thirst, excessive hunger, excessive secretion of urine and weight loss/ fatigue.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

maybe but who knows?

just eat whatever you want and wait and see later...

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

No.  Those readings should be good.  They might be a little high if they were fasting readings - but home meters aren't 100% accurate and it could just be a testing error if those were fasting numbers.  If those readings were taken any other time of the day - then they are perfect.

Not eating sugar does not matter.  ALL CARBOHYDRATES become sugar in the body.  Your body doesn't know the difference between a big plate of pasta and a candy bar when it comes to how the body is going to process the carbohydrates.  

Of course, avoiding sugar is a healthy choice that you should continue to do - and it does reduce some risks - but it doesn't guarantee avoiding diabetes.

There is no food that you can eat that guarantees you get diabetes.

There is also no food that you can avoid that guarantees you don't get diabetes.

• 4 weeks ago

Probably not. As someone else has already said in a much more detailed answer, both blood sugar level are well within the non diabetic range. There 2 different sets of units used for blood sugar levels and in blood glucose meters. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Not with those blood sugar readings, sir.  They are both well within the non-diabetic range.

Edit: If you're testing when you first get up in the morning, before you eat anything, your fasting blood sugar level should be 5.5 mmol/l (millimols per litre) or below, but if you're simply doing a random blood sugar test, then it IS well within the non-diabetic range.

• 4 weeks ago

No way to tell as it’s is not a standardized test and the standard time and glucose load

• 4 weeks ago

A glucose meter isn't an indicator of diabetes. By itself, it isn't even a reason to test for diabetes.

• A
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Your body turns all carbs into sugar for fuel, so you don't have to eat sugar for your blood sugar to be high.  Bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, all turn to sugar in your body

• 4 weeks ago

some diabetic need sugar.

Bananas are good for potassium. So, they would be best thing to buy in meantime and east when feeling faint.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.