Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 6 months ago

Can I get a letter to to prove I have Social Anxiety for a DSA application if I haven’t seen my GP about it for years?

The last time I went to my GP re my anxiety was a number of years ago and I was on medication which I stopped because I felt it didn’t help a huge amount and just didn’t want to be taking medication. 

I have also seen a Hypnotherapist. I have been struggling with social anxiety for 12 years and my doctor only diagnosed me with “anxiety and depression” about 5 years ago but I have self diagnosed myself with social anxiety. 

I suffer EVERY single day with general tasks and as a result I am studying from home and therefore want to apply for DSA but understand I would need a letter from a medical professional as evidence. 

Can I just ask my doctor for this if they don’t even know me? (No one has just one doctor any more!)

4 Answers

  • drip
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    You will need to start the process. You won’t be going in for one appointment and expect the doctor to write a letter for you. It will be a process to get diagnosed.  

  • MS
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    You can ask, but it's very likely they will refuse to provide you with documentation since they have not seen you, diagnosed you, or treated you for this condition.  Self-diagnosis does not meet the standard for receipt of disability benefits.  Your doctor could get in trouble for providing false documentation for this.

  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

    No. Real anxiety needs active therapy weekly. Medication will alone will not help someone with social anxiety. I've lived with social anxiety since my early teens. If your anxiety is to the point where it interferes with your daily life then you need to start seeing a therapist to learn healthy coping skills so you can function in your day to day life. A doctor's note will not help you, it will only hold you back in life. You need to learn to fight anxiety, not given into it.

  • ?
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    No, you can't get any accommodations if you are self-diagnosed. You must see your doctor and be re-evaluated. There are new medications, too. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.