Who is Harriet Tubman?  ?

So first let me say I'm not racist.  I'm black and white.  So to my question.. Obviously i was taught who Harriet Tubman is. I learned who she was from school.  But if you look at what you're taught in school, the only people you're taught about is  basically just Harriet Tubman, MLK, Malcolm X,  Kunta Kinte, etc.  But there's not that many black people who they teach about compared to the hundreds  of white people.  So my question is, who really are these select people? I'm sure there are alot of other black people we should've all been taught about does it not seem like an agenda.  

It sounds like you are really asking, "What makes Harriet Tubman so special that her life has gained so much attention and others have not?" I will admit that part of your inquiry is valid because the truth is, there is a rather glaring gap when it comes to the education system only focusing on certain areas or people. It should be understood that the education system has failed not only African-American children, but all children. The reason is because there are inaccuracies that surround the curriculum that is taught in various schools. Why is it it that Christopher Columbus is still credited with discovering America? That is just one example of the inaccurate portrayal of historic figures. 

To your point about Harriet Tubman, her role in history was pivotal and it should not be diminished. If anything, I think that she along with countless other African-Americans should be on display. However, it proves that there is a selective process when attributing credit or focusing on a person's contribution to America. It isn't that Tubman's role was not exemplary because it was. However, the overall point is that there are other individuals who are never mentioned, and perhaps it speaks to the lack of objectivity when it comes to our nation's education system. 

• Craig

That's a thoughtful question.  Yes, there are hundreds if not thousands of black people whose names should be household words.  But you should understand that, as an American, you are growing up in a society that is only beginning to move past a very simplistic view of itself.  Everything in the USA is very Euro-centric, as it has naturally been since the beginning of colonisation.  It ignores the fact that there were nations here before the Europeans arrived.  It ignores the fact that Africa and Asia had their own cultures and kingdoms and entire civilisations before Europeans even guessed at their existence.  It ignores the very truths behind the establishment of the USA in the first place.

So even though you live in the 21st century, you must think of yourself as if you're in a world that has interpreted itself with blinders on - that has grown up on myth and fairy-tales - and is only now beginning to allow discussion of the larger, older reality than the schoolbook propaganda that was, until very recently, the only thing that was purchased for schoolchildren to read.

So you are in Early Days, my friend.  A few years ago, when I was a child, no one ever discussed Harriet Tubman, and MLK and Malcolm X were not subjects of polite discourse.  This isn't an agenda so much as it is the slow, reluctant emergence from a complete news blackout.  Polite, white America didn't want or allow discussion of its black inmates who seemed to be too undeniably touched by genius.

Be glad of the fact you're born in a time when that is changing.  And see that it continues to do so.