Music doesn't have to be deep and meaningful to be good ?

Music doesn't have to be deep and meaningful with a profound message to be good. The Beatles Is often considered one of the best bands in music history but come on, "I want to hold your hand" is not a profound dong with any deep meaning. Music can just make you feel good, I like Dua Lipa's new album and think it is just a fantastic pop release,  it doesn't have any deep meaning, it just makes me feel happy and having a dance. 

Know what you mean but you took the wrong example. The music of The Beatles is deceptively simple. When you dig deeper it's often complex and revolutionary.

No, the music doesn't always have to be deep, there is music that is fit for purpose like fun music, relaxing music, wedding, funeral, advertising music etc.

You base your question on the lyrics of ONE song written by Lennon & McCartney when Lennon was just turning 23 & McCartney was 21?  Do you know the song was written especially to appeal to the U.S. market?  C

apitol Records, N. American distributor for E.M.I.,had rejected their earlier recordings.

Listen to the TRIPE that infests the Billboard Top 100 for 1963.  You're hear what I mean.  Then go have a hearty vomit, as you'll need it.  No, music needn't be deep & meaningful.  We also don't need scheisse.  I do all my "dancing" horizontally, & music isn't needed for that.           

No, it doesn't have to be deep or profound. Most music is not.

• But The Beatles are deep and meaningful as are a lot of pop artists like The Bee Gees, The Carpenters and ABBA.  Their songs may be easy on the ear but can be slightly melancholy and full of emotion.  I personally can't listen to music with no depth or emotional content lyrically.

• Chad

"Music doesn't have to be deep and meaningful to be good"

Thats great, do you have a question? 

Because so far what I have read is very underwhelming. 

You've stated something that just about everyone is aware of and would agree with.

Do you have a question though?

True, many great pieces of music, such as Beethoven and Mozart symphonies, have no lyrics at all. In fact the lyrics in Beethoven's 9th or choral Symphony is laughably simple, when translated, and I have no idea what they mean when I heard them sung for the first time. As long as the music itself is good, the lyrics does not matter. Paul Simon songs have a lot of la la las in them instead of words, and his critically acclaimed Graceland album has lyrics that are largely meaningless. Many songs by Yes and some by Led Zeppelin (e.g. Whole Lotta Love) have unremarkable lyrics but they are great music because they are melodic, and they have great instrumental performances and great vocal performances. What I do not like is music that is mostly vocal but meaningless, and at the same time the background music and the vocal performances are both below par. I don't like many Bee Gees disco songs and Sister Sledge's "We are family" for that reason. That is also why I do not like rap. Terrible lyrics, bad "singing" and mostly meaningless or offensive lyrics and there is no good accompanying music or they have n annoying background rhythms. Some rap artists wind up getting sued by "sampling" or stealing rock music and putting it in their songs. I love a lot of Beatles songs because they are so melodic, and they have great vocal and instrumental performances.

I agree. My all time favourite song is Biz Markie's "Just a Friend." I think it's about a thousand times better than anything the Beatles ever recorded. 

• Jill

I agree but do you have an actual question? This isn't Yahoo Announcements.  

• Bob

Yes we know. Congratulations for figuring it out