what is a severance pay macy's Should I take it? ?

Got laid off from Macy’s 6/30/2020 and they had sent me this what is a severance pay macy's Should I take it? 

• Erik

Severance pay is what they sometimes give you when you are laid off.  You won't be working there no matter what, so you might as well take it.

• Judy

Why not???????????????????????

You don't have to take it.  It is up to you.  Either accept it or give them a note in writing, signed & dated that you are refusing it.

Lets see, free money or no free money. You decide.

Well, we here don't know what they sent you says.  We do know that Macy's has declared bankruptcy - you're job is probably gone forever - there may not be any money left if you delay depositing the check - but there is probably fine print in what they sent you that says by cashing it you forfeit any future claims for a job or any more pay or benefits.  Were I you, I would read everything you received.