Can I get into the IT field with Microsoft Certifications with a BA in a non computer related field ?

I got my degree originally in international affairs with a minor in International Business 

However I have an interest in getting into the IT field preferably Network/Information Security or programming, Web design etc .The bigger question is will I need to go to college and get another Bachelors or Associates Degree in a computer related field to be able to get a good job or will certifications  and online hands on training be enough? 

Study the job criteria and comply with whatever they need. Good luck kid!

Source(s): Reality.

IT depends on the job and field.  For example, if you want to get a job as a Microsoft support tech in a company, the MS certifications may be enough for that job. If you want to be a web designer or webmaster, you have to prove you can create and code websites whether from scratch or using something like WordPress.  

To be a programmer, you have to have expertise in the programming languages the hiring company wants whether Java, Python, C++, R, or whatever.  Most people demonstrate that competency by having a CS degree, but there are other ways of doing that. 

Just look on any job posting site and enter a job title that interests you.  You'll see what education, certification, and specific skills are required for that job. 

• Scott

You can get into the windows side of IT. I have an accounting degree and have been working in IT for the last 30 years.

Basically ...if you have Microsoft certifications...you are already in the IT field. Just entry level.

The Microsoft Certification process does not require a college degree.  It requires that you have the knowledge to be able to past very complex test on different areas of knowledge about computers in general and MS products specifically.  While you can take college classes to learn the information, the classes do not get you the certification.  You still have to take and pass the MS test.

Most people who get MS certifications do the studying on their own.  There are hundreds of books that you can get the cover the subjects of each test in great detail.  Also there are many sites that offer sample test that you can take to see if you are ready for the real thing.  And many web sites were you can get information about the test themselves.

While there are college (trade school and even some high school) classes that can prepare your for the MS test, you only get the certification if you past the MS test.

I have a degree in Computer Science, but I took the classes long before MS offered its certifications.  So I had to study on my own and get the knowledge needed to past the different test.  Working in the IT field already helped because much of what is on the test is stuff I already used and did every day.