My dad smoked for 40 years, but 2 years ago he quit. For some reason in the past few months he's coughing non stop. What does this mean? ?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Check with your doctor.

• Rick
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

his lungs were too far gone ...............................

• 2 months ago

It means he needs to be seen for a chest X-ray to start coughing ranges from benign to serious and it’s the serious you do not want to miss. Don’t get diagnostic advice here for something that could be potentially very serious 

• 2 months ago

Smoking affects the cilia in the bronchial tubes. When somone stops smoking (especially after a long time of heavy-ish smoking), the cilia get fully replaced, but it still takes a while before the whole system is back to full functioning. 

Often, this takes the form of coughing to try and clear the tubes, especially around the throat. It's sometimes useful to get one of those puffer things from one's doctor and use it especially at night (most such coughing seems to happen when the person lays down at night -- sitting up a bit helps as well). It takes a while, but the coughing can decrease tremendously with little other medical help.

But it does mean going to the doctor and getting checked out thoroughly to start with, not an on-line diagnosis as here.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Diana
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Get your Dad to a doctor ASAP!  This sounds serious!

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

chronic bronchitis will remain

for ever due to the heavy smoking

he should take a cough syrup daily

• 2 months ago

Many folks who smokes experience chronic bronchitis. This can make you cough all day and night. Coughing is the only way to keep your lungs clear, after that much smoking.

• 2 months ago

40 years of smoking is catching up with him.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I am having that problem the past few days because I am sitting too much. So the liq. in the lung has settled too much in one area.

Lots of things can cause coughing. Best to have a doctor check it out.

Pray to God for help also! 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.