Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOptical · 2 months ago

I have glasses, but I'm too scared to wear them. What should I do?

I have glasses and although my vision is OK, I still need them frequently. If I am about 7 feet away from my TV, I can barely read what's on it. However, I am too scared to wear my glasses because I'm afraid people will make fun of me. What should I do?

• J
    Favorite Answer

Pick a pair that looks good on you. If anyone makes fun of you it will only be in the beginning. Once they get used to you wearing glasses, nobody will even notice. Friends will probably make jokes the first few days because that’s what friends do. Lighten up a little, it’s just glasses. It’s not like you wet your pants on stage or something. 

As long as they are the correct prescription, wear them anyways! If you cant see the TV at 7 feet you need to wear them ALL THE TIME! Don't worry about what others say and just wear them as you will get used to them! No big deal as most people will need them at some point in their life! You need to put them on when you first get up and wear them till you go to bed as it will be better for your eyes!

• scott

Your first day wearing glasses out in public will be the longest day in your glasses wearing life; your close friends might ask to try them on or  they will  say something like "you got glasses" or will want to know why you are now wearing glasses?  or they will just compliment you on your glasses. After their initial reaction they won't care that you are now wearing glasses.  I doubt that anyone will  make fun of you.  To build up your confidence try going someplace that you have little chance of running into anyone you will know and wear your glasses there, nobody will make fun of your there because they won't know you are new to glasses and won't care that you are wearing glasses.  The reaction you get from those strangers will pretty much be the same you will get from your friends, nobody will care.

Wear them people won't bat an eyelid you may get one or two comments in the first week then its normal to them.

Otherwise get contact lenses.

wear them anyways or get contact lenses

Honestly not a lot of people make fun of people with glasses anymore. If you really are paranoid, do what someone else said earlier and get contacts. 

Personally I think people with glasses are cute uwu 

Get prescription contacts. 

😄 I've had glasses for 20 years but never wore them because I was afraid my eyes would develop the need for stronger prescriptions. But... was never embarrassed. Stop being embarrassed. 🥴

no one makes fun of people with glasses 

Either get contacts or wear the glasses. People might make fun of you but they’ll stop eventually.