How long to sound very good on cello?

I just bought a cello on amazon right now can’t afford nothing real expensive right now i never tried a cello but I use to play violin I sound decent on violin. I have a violin worth a lot of money made right before ww2. But no longer want to play violin i feel like it will take most of my life to sound like a professional on it because I started when I was 16 I’m 28 now please let me know if cello will be faster or not and if I’m going to have to wait like 50 to sound like a professional on the cello. 

No one can answer a question like that. First of all no one on this site knows you or your ability. How quickly anyone can become an accomplished musician on any instrument varies from individual to individual. Every person learns differently and at different rates. It's up to you how quickly you will make progress with the cello. You should seek a cello instructor.

• D50

It will take just as long to "sound very good" on the cello as it would on the violin. Maybe longer. 

Mordent is correct. It takes YEARS to sound really good on many instruments.  He and I and several others here have devoted our lives to performing on various instruments, and still know we need to work at this for the rest of our lives.  There is no *I am done* moment - even the most famous will practice every single day.  Could you get passable enough to play with understanding friends?  Maybe.  Or in a local amateur orchestra?  Maybe after 5 years or so of lesson from a degreed, certified, qualified professional cellist/teacher.  For you to expect this to happen *right away*, is delusional - and also an insult to those who spend our lives at this.  But we realize that no offense was meant on your part - you just have NO IDEA how hard it is, to make it all sound easy . . . 

It depends on how much you work at it. You could be pretty decent in 5 years - or you may never become more than an amateur in your entire life.

It's about equal to violin. It's easier for some and harder for others. Everything takes years of hard work.