Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 2 months ago

Why don't some people believe in Natural Talent?

I was born with a natural talent for many artistic mediums. When I was 4, I figured out I could not only come up with my own advanced work, but I was exceptionally good at copying. I won many contests in elementary school, and found even more mediums in middle school. I'm also very gifted at music, but I don't have a passion for it, so I keep it as a hobby. And high school brought many more opportunities. 

But over that span of time, I have met a handful of people that don't believe in the existence of natural talent. 

I mean, I did have to practice thousands of hours to get to the league I'm in now, but I was given an enhanced ability and I learned quickly and I learned how to teach myself most of the time. 

I have a cousin who is a gifted musician and can play anything you give to him. And he's had that gift since childhood. 

But still, there are people that deny the existence of natural talent. 

Can anyone explain? Thanks. 

I imagine anyone who thinks like that has no talents of their own. I certainly don't think I could do my job without some natural ability to draw, despite the fact nobody else in my family had any great talent in that line (apart from my late father). It sounds like they are talking bollox.

• Dan

I have never heard of anyone denying the existence of natural talent. For you to ask this question, is really kind of odd. 

I am not disputing your or anyone's natural talent.  However, I have found people who think that excuses then from LEGITIMATE study, or practice.  Why learn a Chopin Ballade, when you can just improv some blues?  Why learn scales AT ALL? Why take lessons, or theory, because people already adore you?

I am certain that we all would love to hear videos of your performing, and see examples of you artistic achievements. I have adjudicated thousands of student musicians in all level of competitions and assessment, I would be delighted to see how you compare.  Many others here have the same qualifications as I and the other 3 members of my family - and have had long professional performing careers.  So please post something for us to hear!  Of course, an Anonymous posting always is circumspect . . . most are delusional.  Prove us wrong - with a video.  Not audio only - that could be anyone.

Can you possibly post a photo of your gold star collection? 

• Cogito

Some people still believe that the earth is flat.

Some people deny evolution.

Who knows why a few people believe stupid things?  Does it matter?

I think you might be referring to people who don't quite understand what “talent” is. Some people who post on this site confuse it with a skill or ability.

I can't see how talent can be anything else but “natural”.