Maria asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 months ago

Is it okay that I ask my father to remove his sandals? ?

My parents are separated for a couple of years. My father visits our house once in a while. Lately, when he came to our home, I noticed that he doesn't remove his sandals that he wears outdoors. We have hardwood floor and some carpets. He places his sandals on top of the carpets and walk across the hardwood with his sandals. I was thinking to get indoor slippers for him to wear when he is inside the house, which I already have. 

Is it okay that the next time he comes, I ask him to remove his outdoor sandals and wear the indoor slippers instead? 

I appreciate the time you took to answer my question :) 

• G R
    Favorite Answer

So does your mother not want people wearing shoes inside the house?  If she doesn't then you need to inform people, preferably before they come over so they aren't caught off guard and embarrassed.  It is also nice and considerate to offer a pair of clean, unused slippers or socks.

• L

You can always provide an area for him to remove his shoes and then allow him to walk around bare foot or provide slippers, however, most older people never grew up doing things this way.  I have arthritic knees I never remove my shoes.

• J

Many people prefer to have people remove their shoes inside. I usually ask anyone who comes over to take their shoes off, especially if it’s wet or muddy outside. Some people really don’t like to be barefoot though. If his shoes are clean, I’d let it go. 

I like your idea of giving him comfortable slippers to wear when he's at your house.  

Some people are shy about exposing their less-than-perfect feet

• reme_1

Your house your rules! No one has a right to wear dirty shoes inside your home. I lived in Japan 45 years ago and have since put up signs for people to take off their shoes. I have slippers for my guests and shoe covers for workmen.If my guests do not like it they don't have to visit. Been there, done that.

You may ask whatever you want but don't be surprised when he visits less.He may not be disrespecting you so much as he can't get his shoes off and on so easily anymore.

i would just let him wear whatever he wants

• Lily

The moment he enters your house without removing his shoes: You should run over to him, point down to his feat and shout "WHAT ARE THOOOOOOOSE?" Guaranteed he will become so annoyed by this over time he'll start to remember to take his shoes off whenever he enters your house. 

It’s your house so you can ask him to wear whatever you want him to wear. With the CDC saying that coronavirus can be spread through the floor, I would be extra vigilant so it’s not that big of a deal to ask him to remove his shoes.