Do most students who have lead roles in high school musicals go on to pursue acting professionally in some form as an adult? ?

Favorite Answer

No.  A fair amount of them might think about it or have some fantasy about being “discovered” - but usually reality will set in.  It’s like how not every high school athlete goes on the attempt to play professionally.  But they may keep such activities in their life playing at a community level.

Acting in high school is very, very different then acting professionally.  Professional acting is a business.  People are in it to make money not teach some kids about theater and provide an opportunity to learn life skills.  A professional acting career is basically starting and running a business where you are the product being marketed and sold. A professional actor needs more then just being good at the craft of acting - they need to understand legal issues, marketing, networking and the like.  Most high school actors don’t even consider that part of a professional acting career.  

No, just as people in amateur drama clubs do not ever get into paid acting roles. I did one day as a member of a 400-strong crowd scene for the BBC. I took a day off from my 'day job'. It was an interesting experience, but did not convince me to 'give up the day job'!

No. Some do, but not most.

There are 25,000 or so high schools in the US. There are not enough roles for 25,000 new performers to act professionally every year.

I saw a fine performance of West Side Story last year, even the supporting players really excellent. During intermission, I overheard someone behind me say, "Of course they're all good. Every one of them played either Tony or Maria at their high school, and most of them probably did in college, too."

Your view on acting has no grasp in reality whatsoever. It's so far fetched. It's like asking if most people who sing karaoke go on to pursue a professional singing career. School plays have NOTHING to do with professional acting, which requires a whole different set of skills and abilities, at a much higher level. The vast majority of people, high school students included, don't have what it takes to pursue a professional acting career or to work at it. With all due respect, getting a leading role in a school plays means nothing. It doesn't even mean you have the talent. There's a reason why you don't list "high school play" in your resume when you do go on to pursue a career in acting.

No, most of them don't, and most of those that try don't make it.