Corolla crank sensor?

I have a toyota corolla 2004 1.4 vvti. I was having problems to start the engine, then check engine went on!. I checked at my mechanic with the scanner and showed that the fault was the crank postion sensor. Even though I replaced it with a brand new one still the problem persists and the check engine goes on again with the same fault. What could be the problem? Can it be the ecu?.

It's not the ECU. Some code readers confuse the crank sensor and camshaft sensor. Being a VVT motor if you haven't been changing the oil and filter every 3,000 miles or every 5,000 miles if running synthetic oil I'll bet you have issues with the cam advance actuator and solenoid. It's very common when the oil gets black or drops a quart low. Check your oil level on the dipstick every 1,000 miles between oil changes and keep it topped up to the upper dipstick mark or you'll be sorry.

• Barry

The fault reading needs clearing with an OBD reader. If it returns a re-scan should identify the source of the fault.

What is the trouble code?  A sensor trouble code does NOT always mean that the sensor is bad.  It could be a wiring problem.