Worker Rights?

I got a temporary job in Walmart, and I was stated to be employed for 1 to 3 months but it can turn into a permanent position. I am now on day 113 of my employment and not heard anything. I'm still getting scheduled, but I don't want to walk in one day and hear that my time is up. Since they went over the 90 day period, what rights do I have as an employee. I work in Du Page county of Illinois.

Favorite Answer

In the absence of a collective bargaining agreement, your employment in Illinois is legally "at will", which means that your employer can terminate you at any time, for almost any reason. (Exceptions include discrimination against a protected class, i.e. racial discrimination). The "temporary job" vs. "permanent position" distinction you are referring to is entirely the construction of your employer (Walmart), and has limited legal standing. You could look at the employee manual (if they have one), or policies posted online. If your employer does not follow the procedures they lay out in writing, or follows them inconsistently, you may have some recourse if fired. But that's not a whole lot to stand on. And Walmart has access to some pretty smart HR staff and lawyers. 

So.... bottom line? You don't have a whole lot of job security. You work there at the pleasure of your employer, and can be let go just about any time. 

Source(s): former employer

You have, and always had, the same rights as any other Wal-mart hire. The 90 days legally means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Management can walk in later today and inform everyone the store is permanently closed effective immediately and start passing out final paychecks.

No rights. You are employed at-will in the state of Illinois. Walmart is not unionized. You can be kept on or terminated at the company's discretion.

You have no rights.  WalMart can employ you permanently, or WalMart can fire you.  WalMart can just stop scheduling you.

I suppose you could ASK HR if that's not too complicated for you.

You have the right to keep showing up for work.  Your time can be up any day you walk in no matter what your original status was.  

Have you considered talking to your store manager about it?

He'd know more than anybody on YA.