Marc asked in Cars & TransportationCommuting · 2 months ago

Does anyone else find it funny when the newspaper say motorist caught at 100MPH?

The 70MPH speed limit was introduced in December 1965. Nearly 55 years later cars have developed a long way. Tyres are safer and have more grip. Brakes are stronger and more stable. Safety standards have improved.

My 1.3 Mitsubishi Colt could do 100MPH on a motorway and id feel quite safe.

• F

Most modern cars can safely travel at 100mph. 55 years is a very long time in car evolution.

However it is a tiny spec in human evolution and people’s reactions and attention spans are if anything worse than they were esp with mobile phones to distract. So while I’m safely driving at 100mph, someone more concerned with Facebook , will pull out 5 yards in front of me at 40mph and we both die.

Some drive too slow and some drive too fast. I DO NOT have to pay your speeding ticket but will wave as I pass by you while stopped by police writing you a ticket.

Driving well over 100MPH (160 KPH) is not a problem if you have a good car and know how to drive at speed. Maybe that explains why it takes six months to get a drivers licence in Germany.

Bugatti Veyron - 402,5 km/h - World Record on Public Highway (2015) That is over 200 MPH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMYpOit3t4Y

Youtube thumbnail

Try again - your Mitsubishi Colt has a top speed of 93mph (and will be ready to come apart and/or fly off the road after any time at that speed).

The fact that *you* would feel safe says all I need to know about you.

• Erik

No, because it's usually because some idiot crashed and killed the people in the other car.

And could you stop or maneuver around a slow moving vehicle - would others be able to judge your speed and not move over in front of you, would you be over driving your stopping distance on the curves? You are not alone on the motorways! By yourself I am sure your car is just fine at those speeds - add people and animals and all bets are off. 

• A.J.

Why is the question mixed in country? mph is miles per hour USA.

Tyres is outside of North America spelling. 1.3 Mitsubishi Colt is not a US car.

Speed limits in the USA varied from 55 to 70 on interstate highways.

The problem is stopping distance and unsafe at high speeds.

I'm ecstatic every time I see a blatant scoff-law arrested for speeding. The law is the law dumbass. Like it and abide or stay off the motorway.