Is it possible for a 20 year old college student not to know what a hotspot is?

Sometimes I deal with this exchange in an online course:

Student: “I can’t turn in my assignment because my WiFi is down.”

Me: “How are you logging into the course right now?”

Student: “I’m using the Canvas app on my iPhone.”

Me: “Did you try using a hotspot?”

Student: “No.  What’s that?  Do I need to call Verizon?”

Favorite Answer

Yes anything is possible but most people do know what a hotspot is

• Sam

That was funny.. but there really are some stupid people in higher education.  Make me wonder how they got there..  and how much their parent paid. 

Yes, VERY possible. Many people do not have good vocabularies. Academic English I almost a foreign language for many college students. That's one reason there is such a high drop out rate in the first year of college.   

"Hotspot" has several different meanings. Covid 19 hotspots, geological hotspots, wild fire and fire hot spots, chemical and astronomical hotspots. 

I think it's very likely.  There are students who have never had to resort to hotspots because they always have easy access to Wifi.  There are other students who have just not had much exposure to internet alternatives.  I don't know that any of my teens would know what a hotspot is. 

Of course it's possible. Even likely.  most folks don't know how these things work.  They just push buttons on the phone.

Most Likely A French Foreign Exchange Student, Stupid Beyond Belief These People ...