There is no such thing as consciousness.. just brain chemicals and neurons ?

If you believe in consciousness then you believe in god

Can you see it? No

Those neurons somehow create consciousness. How they do it is a mystery. But I know I am conscious. 

I think, therefore, I am. 

• John P

Way back over 300 years ago the French philosopher Descartes said: "I think, therefore I am".

There are binary computations occurring.

If you are able to ask the question and understand the answer, you are conscious in some sense of the word.

I believe that consciousness exists but do not believe in God.  I believe YOU are misguided and your statement about God is a logical "non sequitur."

• CRR

Are you aware of your own consciousness? 

• Tom

In my own brain studies, (Functional Analysis Psychology) while plotting out AI proposals, years ago I made a discovery that.  There was an "Active scanning function" in the brain that moved up and down the "Memory stack" in response to environmental stimuli, matching up internal memories with sensory data.

Somewhat obvious, but then I happened to come across "Brain wave data" in one of my reference books.  It seemed to match exactly the predicted scanning patterns for various mental states.    When awake and alert, the waves were of very random frequency and amplitude---reflecting the random and active "movements" of the Scanner in the memory stack---erratically up and down, small and large movements searching for different matching  data --the BETA Waves.  In a relaxed state (ALPHA) the scanner simply moves up in down in a regular medium smooth wave pattern---passive scanning, reflective of the waveform.  An a deeper state of detachment  the wave is much lower in amplitude and regular----scanner hovering around an even more reduced range.

I have concluded that CONSCIOUSNESS is MOVEMENT of the brains "Memory scanner"---the more movement and amplitude, the more "awake" or "Conscious" we are.

Now of course we don't have a PHYSICAL, Mechanical "Scanner" in our brain, but the configurations and neurons likely stimulated by electro-chemical reactions and "Circuitry", might effectively give it a Scanner-Like function.---resulting in the effect we CALL Consciousness.

Alternatively, theories exist that "Consciousness" exists outside the brain---In HUT (Holographic Universe Theory) Physics. Where consciousness is a part of the UNIVERSE itself ----Then we may be dealing with some quantum or waved based, interactions within the brain itself (we effectively being "meat puppets") from non corporeal Conscious entities that need our physical bodies, with our brains serving as "Interfaces" to functionally interact with the matter of this universe.----There is a "disturbing" amount of evidence for this----That will make the religionists happy as it conforms to the basic belief of a "Soul", but in different terminology.-------But for now, I prefer to subscribe to the more physical "Scanner" model above.

• Dixon

But everything is a series of emergent phenomena - you can argue that chemicals don't exist, it is just protons, neutrons and electrons - or quarks, gluons and electrons - or quantum fields - or strings. And in the other direction we have chemicals - biology - anthropology/zoology - social science - economics etc. And somewhere tucked between chemistry and biology is consciousness.

. Not true.There are the electric signs in your nervous system crossing the synapses in your nervous system. No, you cannot see IT. Have an EKG done. Maybe you are not human or you are already deceased. You cannot see ignorance.  

• KennyB

I do not believe in any gods - and yet I am conscious.  I don't 'believe' in consciousness, I live it.

• Dylan

This isn't true but ok