How did NY do so well in fighting the virus?

When the virus first hit America NY was the epicenter but now Cali, Florida and Texas are and the cases in NY are way down and there's been very few deaths. How did NY do it?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Because they completely shut down

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Aggressive measures.  New York has remained shut down for a long time, especially the city which was the epicenter.  We've been relatively slow to reopen compared to some of the states now experiencing outbreaks.  And we've resisted quick opening of venues like bars and theaters which might spread the virus a lot.  Mask wearing is also near universal compared to what I see on the news in some other areas.  I live in a relatively conservative part of the state that has seen comparatively few infections and deaths and I'd say upwards of 90% of people have been wearing masks for weeks and weeks now.  (At least in stores, people are worse in one on one interactions out in the world)

• DW
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Very restrictive shutdown early on, relaxed *after* testing showed the virus was under control.

Mask requirements everywhere, with most people following them and very few insisting they have a god-given right to infect others.

Aggressive push to make testing available. Months ago it was available to anyone who may have been exposed or has a vulnerability or has symptoms. Currently available to anyone who asks to be tested.

Well-staffed contact tracing team.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.