Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is there any way I can stiffen the steering feel on my 2009 Toyota Corolla?

I just bought an 09 Corolla not too long ago, and I just took it out on the highway. The steering was pretty light compared to my Jetta I had prior to the corolla. And I'm not gonna lie, I felt almost no control over the car with several bumps on the highway considering there is a lot of construction going on. I had to drive slower than I usually do because I was worried that if I'm going at the max speed of 120 that a pothole might cause my steering wheel to shake and I end up losing control of the car, and crash into another car.

Any way I can increase the heaviness of the steering on my car? Or any other Japanese cars I can consider that has somewhat heavy steering? I might sell this car if I don't feel safe driving it..

Update:

@robertell: you don't have a weiner buddy, sorry to break it to ya :D

And to those who said I should have noticed it during my test drive, I only drove it on local roads. I didn't think it was necessary to test drive it on the highway.

Update 2:

@Edna: 120km/h is the max speed on our highways in Toronto. You will even see some cars going at 130 but usually the average speed on the highway is 110 or 120 unless you are going in the slow lane which trucks are usually going at 100

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It may have a lighter feel due to a more powerful; power steering system. On the other hand, if you could move the steering wheel quite a ways without getting much response then you have a problem. To "tighten the steering feel" it possibly needs major front end steering and / or suspension work. Go get it properly inspected. Epic pre-buy inspection fail. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Any time you buy a new car (or even used car), you have to become accustomed to the "feel" of that particular car's steering. Every car's steering "feels different" until you get used to it.

" I had to drive slower than I usually do because I was worried that if I'm going at the max speed of 120 that a pothole might cause my steering wheel to shake and I end up losing control of the car, and crash into another car"  I hope to God you don't usually drive down the highway at 120 mph!

• Erik
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

drain all the power steering fluid

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Sell it, you should have done a more thorough test drive if you're that sensitive.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

Did you check the tire pressures? Under inflation can cause bad steering. Cheap tires can do the same. A change of McPherson struts to high quality versions will improve front end handling. Or as others have said get used to it.

• 9 months ago

There's two things you can do.  Learn to get used to it or sell it. It's up to you. if you don't feel happy driving it then don't.  It's no good driving something you're not happy with. I'm surprised you didn't notice this on your test drive.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Sell the car if you do not like the steering feel.  You should have noticed it on your test drive.  You can remove the power steering pump and put a dummy pulley instead.  If the car has electric steering, pull the fuse.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

I want to stiffen my wiener

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.