ken asked in SportsHockey · 2 months ago

NHL announced they will have crowd noise, much like MLB, seems cheesy?

• bill

What's silly is still playing music between plays when nobody is there to amuse.

Honestly, I hate it- would rather hear the sounds of the game rather than just flat noise.

I thought it was cheesy at first but it honestly helps it feel more normal to me. 

Sure, but covid cheesiness is way better than no NHL playoffs or baseball this season.

I think the league feels that there could be objectionable language during a hockey game, so they have to drown it out. I like the Nippon Pro Baseball games where you can hear everything. 

• JuanB

Not as cheesy as NHL in August

More than  cheezy as that is being kind. No way will fake crowd noise be as spontaneous are real fans. The players will know it, and its going to affect momentum in a negative way. How can anyone be riled up after a good fight when they know its a fake crowd?

It's actually not that bad. If you're listening to the game, it's usually not noticable that there's not really a crowd. You can tell if you watch the screen and can see the stands.

• I've already seen it during soccer and rugby league games.  I find it easier than the arena being completely silent.