David asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 6 months ago

Is it normal to lose appetite after starting to workout?

I just started working out pretty intensely for the last two weeks. I have now got to a point where I do not fee like eating at all. I have to force myself to eat and just eat one meal a day now. I try to make it a large meal since I know that’s going to mu only meal of the day. 

Intense exercise releases hormones, specifically leptin, which is a hormone that inhibits hunger. 

Leptin is a hormone secreted by fat cells that helps regulate how your body produces energy. It also happens to inhibit hunger. There's another hormone called ghrelin that actually stimulates hunger. Both hormones act on receptors in hypothalamus to regulate appetite.

There have been studies that show a decreased sensitivity to leptin in overweight people, perhaps leading them to eat more because they don't feel as "full". 

It's speculated that because of our hunter-gather evolution, leptin increases during and after periods of intense exercise so that we aren't "distracted" when we're chasing down or otherwise hunting for food.

No, that is not normal at all.