sheridan asked in Arts & HumanitiesPoetry · 2 months ago

Were round bunting flags used during the American Revolution? ?

I'm making a painting that takes place in the 1770's, and I'd like to decorate some fence posts with Betsy Ross bunting flags. Problem is, I don't know if this style of bunting was used during the American revolution.

Attachment image

3 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    Most probably definately no.

  • Marli
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    You asked this in Poetry  You won't get many helpful answers here.

    The full round shape is called a  "rosette". There were red, white, blue  rosette cockades worn on the caps and sashes of the revolutionaries in France in 1791.  I don't see why the rosette shape using red, white and blue stripes, would not have been a decoration 20 years earlier in the US if the flag - or at least the stars and stripes idea - became the adopted fashion.

    The "Betsy Ross Flag" is like the current U S. Flag, so would it look pleasing when pleated toward the top center? The stars in the  left corner would be obscured. 

    But you can research the history of the Revolution's flags and how they may have been used as decoration.  Would Ms. Ross and other seamstresses and tailors have the time and materials to make many flags? 

  • Wilson
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

    Bunting was originally a specific type of lightweight worsted wool fabric generically known as tammy,manufactured from the turn of the 17th century, and used for making ribbons and flags, including signal flags for the Royal Navy. Amongst other properties that made the fabric suitable for ribbons and flags was its high glaze, achieved by a process including hot-pressing.

    NSE Eridge-Edenbridge celebrations (1988) with Red, White and Blue commemorating the Hundred Years of the Line.

    The origin of the word is uncertain. But bunt means colourful in German.

    The term bunting is also used to refer to a collection of flags, and particularly those of a ship.The officer responsible for raising signals using flags is known as bunts, a term still used for a ship's communications officer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.